Last week at my corporate job the office hosted its annual Thanksgiving pot luck. I volunteered to bring a home made cranberry sauce and vowed to find a recipe with no added sugar (tough to do considering this is usually the main ingredient after cranberries!). Tough it was indeed as there are a lot of really great recipes out there, but none that did not have refined sugar as an added ingredient. I finally stumbled upon one on a great site called findyourbalancehealth.com. I changed it up a bit and it was an office hit!
It has always boggled my mind why people would opt for canned jelly cranberry sauce when the real thing is so good, good for you, and so easy to make. Look at the ingredient list in Ocean Spray’s canned jellied cranberry:
Not only is High Fructose Corn Syrup listed as the second ingredient, but corn syrup is also listed there again! High Fructose Corn Syrup and corn syrup are code words for ‘sugar’. So this ingredient list has two types of added sugar in the can.
Even their whole cranberry sauce is not any better.
Cranberries are so good for you but all of these health benefits are negated when you combine that with a bunch of added sugar. High Fructose Corn Syrup and corn syrup are especially worrisome as these are most likely genetically modified; sugar is extracted from corn as a cheap sweetener (corn is the #1 gmo crop in the United States).
Instead, make your own cranberry sauce without any added sweetners. You’ll be amazed at how all of the natural flavors in these real-food ingredients compliment one another in a very healthy dish. Here are just some of the incredible health benefits of cranberries:
- Significantly high amounts of phytochemicals, which have potential health benefits against cancer, neurological diseases, inflammation, and diabetes
- High levels of anti-oxidants such as quercetin which may help to prevent cardiovascular disease and other inflammatory dieseases
- prevention of bacteria from sticking to the uterine wall, helping to prevent urinary tract infections
3 Ingredient Real-Food Cranberry Sauce
- 1 bag of organic whole cranberries
- 1 20 ounce can of crushed organic pineapple packed in 100% juice
- 1/3 cup Golden Raisins
- Open can of crushed pineapple. Drain juice from pineapple
- Measure juice in a measuring cup; should yield around 1 cup. Add 1/4 cup of fresh water so you have a total of 1 1/4 cup liquid
- Pour juice in medium saucepan over medium heat
- Add golden raisins
- Let juice and raisins come to a low boil
- Add in crushed pineapple and whole cranberries
- Simmer until the cranberries have burst and most of the liquid is evaporated (should take about 15 minutes)
- Remove from heat and enjoy!
Why would you opt for this?
When you could get this?
If you like this recipe and are interested in others, check out my Seasonal Nourishing Menu.
LIKE THIS POST? SIGN UP TO GET ALL OF MY RECIPES +
NUTRITION TIPS STRAIGHT TO YOUR IN BOX – IT’S FREE!!