This time of year holds so much promise. The worst of winter should be through and Spring is just a glimmer away. It’s also the time of year when the Shamrock Shake makes its annual return.
You may love the Shamrock Shake and St. Patty’s, but did you know that one Shamrock Shake contains 54 ingredients? Many of which are chemicals. Some of the ingredients are:
- Carageenan known to cause intestinal inflammation and is a possible human carcinogen
- Yellow #5 and Red #40; artificial food colorings banned in Europe linked to ADHD in children
- 115 grams of sugar – over 6 times the amount of sugar an adult female should get PER DAY (this is in one drink!)
- The chemical preservative sodium benzoate
- Artificial flavors
and many, many more
** Image from The Huffington Post
Instead, try making your own version of the Shamrock Shake using my Nourishing Mint Cacao Smoothie recipe below. Not only is it free of artificial preservatives, additives, and colors, it is made with just 5 real-food and superfood ingredients.
Nourishing Mint Cacao Smoothie
- 1 large frozen ripe banana (as ripe as possible)
- 1/4 cup baby spinach
- 2 Tablespoons cacao nibs
- 1 serving plant-based protein powder plain (I use Nutrimeal Free here)
- Handful of fresh mint (peppermint essential oil – food grade – optional. 2 drops)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (for a thicker smoothie) or 6 ounces of coconut water for a thinner texture
- Ice cubes (if your banana isn’t frozen or if you like a colder smoothie)
**Optional: a teaspoon of spirulina powder, high in protein, nutrients, and anti-inflammatory properties, for a boost of anti-oxidants and a greener color
Blend all ingredients together in a high-speed blender until smooth. Keep out a handful of fresh mint for garnish.
Top of the Morning!
If you like this recipe and are interested in others, check out my Seasonal Nourishing Menu.
SIGN UP TO GET ALL OF MY RECIPES +
NUTRITION TIPS STRAIGHT TO YOUR IN BOX – IT’S FREE!!