Your body is absolutely amazing and is always giving you signs of what it needs. The question is, are you listening?
The fact is that many people are deficient in some of the basic vitamins and minerals, even with a healthy diet. With our soils not being as nutrient-rich as in generations past, it is no wonder we are not at optimal health.
Here are 10 signs your body is telling you not to ignore:
- Cramps in your feet: Cramps in your feet, toes, and lower legs, especially at night, is a common warning symptom of low magnesium and potassium. Did you know that up to 80% of Americans are deficient in magnesium? It’s a very important mineral for your best health, most notable for your nerves and muscles. It’s difficult to get enough magnesium from food alone.
- Dry flaky skin: Americans have a very high omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Omega-3’s are important for keeping your skin, hair, and scalp supple (as well as critical for heart and brain health). You can increase your intake of these essential fatty acids with foods such as salmon, olives, and avocados. Taking a high-quality fish oil supplement daily also ensures you are meeting your essential fatty acid needs.
- Brittle nails: This could indicate that you are low in iron, as well as fatty acids. Iron is an important nutrient as it helps transport oxygen in the blood and creates proteins in your red blood cells. Too little iron is dangerous, but too much is equally as dangerous. Never supplement with iron alone (unless instructed by your doctor). A well-balanced multi contains just the right amount of iron.
- Hair loss: Typically accompanied with a red, scaly rash, this type of hair loss can be associated with too low levels of biotin. Biotin, also known as B7, is critical for metabolizing fats, carbs, and amino acids. A great natural source of biotin are the yolks from organic, free-range eggs.
- Feeling down: Sometimes knows as SAD (Seasonal Affected Disorder), feeling blue could indicate that your body is low in Vitamin D. If you experience this in the winter months as opposed to the summer, this is a good indication that you should have your Vitamin D levels checked. Vitamin D is actually a hormone that your body produces naturally from sun exposure. During the winter months, when the sun is not as strong, your body doesn’t have the chance to produce enough of this vitamin, which is why supplementing is important. Taking Vitamin D3 without the proper balance of K2, however, is dangerous for your heart. You need to make sure that these are in balance.
- Poor night vision: Poor night vision could indicate a Vitamin A deficiency. Boosting levels of beta-carotene is critical. Natural sources are vegetables such as carrots and broccoli.
- Cracking in corners of mouth: This may be a sign of zinc deficiency, or that you are not getting enough protein. Organic poultry, wild-caught Alaskan salmon, and swiss chard are all good sources of these nutrients.
- Diarrhea: When diarrhea is present, nutrients are not absorbed. Vitamin B3 can often help with this issue.
- Numbness in hands and feet: This is as huge warning sign for a potential B12 deficiency. B-vitamins are water soluable, which means what your body doesn’t use it excretes. B12 assists the peripheral nerves and getting plenty is important for optimal function. This can sometimes go hand-in-hand with anemia. Some good sources of natural vitamin B12 are grass-fed beef, spinach, and beets.
- Excessive bruising: Too much bruising could be an indication of a lack of Vitamin C. Amp up your levels and see if it improves.
Nothing replaces a healthy diet and not all supplements are created equal. Please note you must first make sure you are eating well, only then will supplementing help. Supplements do just that; supplement. They don’t replace eating healthy.
Many supplements are synthetic meaning your body cannot recognize the ingredients. Other supplements are not clean, for example fish oil may contain dangerous mercury. This is why it is critical to choose your supplements from a trusted source.
My criteria for choosing supplements:
- Extra potent and complete so I’m not wasting money
- Clinically tested for absorbability; no point in taking it if my body can’t absorb it
- Clinically tested for pureness and safety
- Manufactured by a legit R&D company
- Priced well
I’ve chosen USANA as my exclusive Product Partner because they fit the bill for the criteria I listed above, including a 5-star rating in the Comparative Guide To Nutritional Supplements, pharmaceutical-quality manufacturing standards, excellent customer service, and great prices.
Click here to take my free USANA health assessment to understand which supplements you should be taking.
Looking for a program to address these common nutrient deficiencies? Ready to challenge yourself and learn the truth about diet and nutrition? Join my Nourish 21 Non-Diet, Healthy Living Immersion Program starting November 2nd! Registration is open now, click here to learn more!
SIGN UP TO GET ALL OF MY RECIPES +NUTRITION TIPS STRAIGHT TO YOUR IN BOX – IT’S FREE!!
Share this post: