Ah, winter. That time of low-light and low-temperature. For those of you who love to ski, snowboard, snowshoe, ice fish, and skate, winter is a beloved season. For others, it can weaken immune system, inducing colds and flus. Good news, you can help boost your immune and stay in the game this season!
Here are my 7 best proven tips for keeping your immune system supported all winter long.
Winter Wellness Checklist
- Optimize Vitamin D Levels – Vitamin D is known as the “sunshine vitamin” and it actually isn’t a vitamin at all, it is a hormone. Vitamin D helps your body to absorb calcium, so it is critical that you maintain optimal levels, even in the winter months. Vitamin D is also crucial for several immune system functions, so being deficient can affect more than just your bones. It can affect every cell in your body. Supplementing with a high-quality Vitamin D3 is recommended for most during the winter months (and it also helps with low mood.) I personally use and always recommend this one which is pharamaceutical-grade.
- Increase Variety + Color of Vegetables – There are no short-cuts to health, and nothing substitutes a healthy diet. Phytonutrients are the power behind the colors you find in your gorgeous vegetables. Increasing your intake of colorful plants also increases antioxidants. Vitamin A is found in many vegetables such as carrots and spinach while Vitamin C is plentiful in citrus fruits as well as broccoli. Both Vitamin A and Vitamin C are helpful in boosting the immune system when it is down.
- Use OnGuard Essential Oil Blend Daily – OnGuard is a special essential oil blend by my favorite essential oil company and product partner, doTERRA. OnGuard is a proprietary blend which provides a natural and effective alternative for immune support. To learn more about this essential oil, and essential oils in general, check out my product page HERE.
- Wash Hands Early + Frequently – Washing hands is one of the most important things you can do for keeping a healthy body. When you are constantly exposed to public places with an incredible amount of germs, you want to protect yourself as much as possible. Washing your hands is the simplest yet most effective way to to maintain a healthy immune system.
- Get Enough Sleep – Your body repairs and protects itself during deep sleep. It’s important to maintain that natural circadian rhythm (7-8 hours of sleep per night) to help build up immune. Make sure all electronic devices are shut off as not to disturb this natural cycle.
- Exercise – Regular exercise keeps you healthy! From decreased cortisol levels (what induces stress) to lower blood pressure, this helps to keep your immune in check. If you are not a gym rat that is okay! Find something that you love to do such as going for a walk, a run or exercising wtih friends.
- Relax – Relaxing and meditating is also another way to reduce cortisol. Not only is cortisol an immune suppressant, it can also be a major factor in keeping on excess weight. Learn to de-stress and watch your health improve! Lavender, Bergamot and Vetiver essential oils can help set the mood.
Adding elderberry and zinc to your daily routine is another tool in your kit to help build up immune during the winter season. What are some of yours?
SIGN UP TO GET ALL OF MY RECIPES +
NUTRITION TIPS STRAIGHT TO YOUR IN BOX – IT’S FREE!!
Share this post: